Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Garlic mustard.






Original title for this post: Could this be something called Malva? I saw a similar plant at a farmers market but didn't note anything but "Malva." There are a LOT of Malvi.

7/9/10 update: Top picture taken after all the violets were removed from the middle of the plant. Still waiting for a flower and still convinced this is something worth keeping (not just a violet).

3/1/11 update: Could this be skunk cabbage?

4/12/11 final update: Theora and Samohta-- see comments -- have convinced me that this is garlic mustard. It never seems to bloom but I think that's because the deer are snapping off the flowers before I ever see them. Related post is here.

4 comments:

  1. That's because there IS one violet mixed in with the other plant. I'll pull it out and replace the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly first-year garlic mustard rosette? Leaves may smell garlicky (but less so this time of year). Next year it will shoot up and make white flowers, followed by thousands and thousands of seeds. Garlic mustard is awful awful awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it's definitely not skunk cabbage, I know it well. I'd put money on it being garlic mustard (as theora suggested in July), and I'm not a gambler. ;)

    ReplyDelete